It is very important to have blood flowing freely to the hands when it is time to take the PT/INR test. We have found the following quick stimulation tips to assist in accomplishing a successful INR test:
- Wash your hands vigorously with soap and warm water then dry completely.
- Hang your hand down by your side and shake it out while pumping your first for a few minutes. This significantly helps the blood flow to your finger tips!!!
- Warm hands with a heating pad or other warm item.
- Rub your hands together for a few minutes and put them under a blanket in your lap.
- Get a mug filled with warm water or a hot beverage and set it near the testing area prior to getting started. Wrap your hands around the outside of the cup for a few minutes prior to testing, and continue doing this during the 30 second warm up period.
- If the weather is cold, it is best to test in the afternoon when it is warmer and when you have been active for a while.
DURING 30-SECOND WARM UP PERIOD:
(Step 3 on QUICK START GUIDE)
1. Hang your testing hand straight down to your side (fingers pointing to the ground) and shake your arm and pump your fist.
DURING THE 180-SECOND TESTING PERIOD:
(DURING the 180-SECOND COUNT DOWN – Step 4 on the QUICK START GUIDE)
1. Have the patient massage the area they will be lancing for about 5 seconds, before lancing the finger.
If you encounter any ERRORs:
Stop testing immediately and please call ACS at 1-800-769-8177 (M-F 8am-5pm PST). Do not attempt any additional tests until you speak with our support staff.
If it is outside of our normal business hours, and using the Roche CoaguChek XS meter and you need assistance with testing pleasecall the manufacture at 1-800-428-4674 for 24/7 technical support.